Monday, November 14, 2011

look! 2 posts in one day! My Hummus recipe:

I went on what seemed like a scavenger hunt looking for the main ingredient in Hummus, "Tahini".  Well, after searching every isle of every grocery store in Ponca City, I finally ended up at the only one I hadn't been to and what should have been the most obvious choice, Food Pyramid on 14th street.  I found it on the international food isle by the peanut butter.  So, today I made the hummus and it was well worth the hours of searching and the $10 jar of Tahini.  This stuff tastes way better than any hummus I've ever purchased pre-made from the store.  I found a good recipe, but it was a little too dry, so I added olive oil and more lemon juice to the mixture.  Here is my altered recipe:

Ingredients:
1 15.5 oz can Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), drained
1/3 cup tahini
the juice of 4 lemons
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
about 1 Tbsp olive oil
sprinkle of paprika and parsley flakes

Directions:
Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and garlic into a blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.  Drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika and parsley.


It was really hard to get smooth in my blender.  I had to keep stirring it up and still ended up with a few beans not blended, but it tastes so good.  It would probably be better in a food processor, but this is definately THE recipe to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment